Friday, August 30, 2013

A Very Valiente Un-Relocation

Today is our last full day in New York. We fly out tomorrow afternoon but because it's a holiday weekend and traffic is rotten in New York under ideal circumstances, we are leaving our hotel mid-morning. Yesterday the water was off in our apartment all day so I filled up cups of water very early and used them for cleaning after the movers left. Today we are going back for one quick review to make sure we didn't leave anything behind and then we're turning in the keys. 
 
This version of relocation feels very different than all my others. I have lived from top-to-bottom, left-to-right in this country, with several different versions of family. I have moved alone, I have moved with several people, I have moved with one person. This is my tenth major move; 80% of those have been military-related. Even though I watched the movers yesterday and hugged co-workers two days ago, and I am currently sitting in a hotel room, it doesn't feel real. It doesn't feel like I will actually be back in SA in less than 48 hours.
 
So here is the plan, y'all: we are going to stay with my parents for a few weeks while we car and apartment shop. If all the stars align, we will find a car, then an apartment, then our goods will be delivered by the end of September. The Yankee will start his job and I will continue doing the same thing for the same company from my own home office (my dream come true). Then we will find the *perfect* dresser, bed frame, and entertainment stand. Then we will conceive the most beautiful bi-racial , dimpled, slightly-sassy, allergy-free baby and I will have an uneventful pregnancy.
 
When we moved to NY, I imagined that I would be blogging regularly with photos of the Yankee and myself living a "You've Got Mail" kind of life. That didn't happen, obviously. There are so many things we really love about this city and others than we really hate. We are leaving with no regrets and considering this adventure "Mission Accomplished." We met a lot of our goals and had an absolute blast doing a lot of things here. I am so glad we moved here and so glad to have met the people we met, eaten the food we've eaten, hosted guests, visited places/cities/landmarks, and worked the jobs we had. I am very excited about connecting with my friends in SA and spending hours and hours with our families.
 
I am a Happy Girl.

0 comments:

Post a Comment